Pros and Cons of Double Sink vs Single Sink Vanities
What is a single sink bathroom vanity?
A single sink bathroom vanity is cabinet with only one sink installation. Normally they can range anywhere from 16 inches to 72 inches. There are options for both freestanding and wall-mounted types.
What is a double sink vanity?
A double sink bathroom vanity has two sinks installed into the cabinet. The countertop is usually cut to accommodate the two sinks as well as the faucets that are installed. Since having two sinks, you’re also going to need 2 faucets. In order for the plumbing to work, they need to be spaced correctly so the smallest cabinet sizes usually start at around 48 inches.
What are the pros of a single sink vanity?
- Easier to install
- This is probably the most obvious pro. Having one sink means it is much easier to install than a double sink vanity. You only have one sink and one faucet to install. Not to mention the cost of installation will be cheaper with only one sink to install.
- Great for small bathrooms
- Having only one sink means the cabinetry can be made a lot smaller. If you are really limited on space, you can easily find one that can fit.
- More Storage Space
- This can differ in how the specific vanity was made but you can generally fit an extra drawer or two into the vanity. General rule of thumb for vanities is that you can’t put a drawer under the sink due to the plumbing. If you have a vanity with a large width and only one sink, you can probably fit an extra drawer on it.
- More Counter space
- This is similar to our point of having more storage space. Having only one sink on a larger width vanity gives you a tremendous more amount of countertop space. This lets you put more stuff including hairdryers, toothbrushes and other bathroom essentials.
What are the cons of a single sink vanity?
Might Not Great for Larger Bathrooms
If you are sharing a really large master bathroom with your significant other, it might be awkward to only have one sink. You will most likely have a lot of extra space in the bathroom so only having one sink might not feel as convenient.
What are the pros of a double sink vanity?
- Sharing is Caring
- Having two sinks means more than one person can use the bathroom at the same time. If everyone needs to get ready at the same time, this is a nice little compromise that works for everybody.
- Less Clutter
- A single sink vanity might provide a little more countertop space but you also increase the chance of cluttering the countertop. Having a double sink vanity will encourage you to tidy up your countertop better.
What are the cons of a double sink vanity?
- Ironically, Less Counter Space
- Mid range double sink vanities will probably be limited in the amount of countertop space it provides. The sinks take up a lot of space and you will probably only be able to put a few small items. This problem is fixed if you opt for a larger width cabinet.
- More sinks means more plumbing
- Having an extra sink means, you will need to pay the cost on the extra sink and faucet as well as the plumbing costs to fix or install everything.
So Is it cheaper to get a single sink vanity or not?
You probably already know it but cheaper doesn’t always mean better. But more expensive also doesn’t mean better either. Most of your costs is going to be from the extra fixtures and plumbing costs. A cheaper vanity might also mean skimping on the quality of the materials used to build the vanity. The last thing you want is to lowball yourself and end up with a flimsy vanity. In the end, you should do your research on what material is good for a high quality bathroom vanity.
You should also think about what you value more. Having double sinks is more convenient for sharing the bathroom. Having a single sink will offer more countertop space but you might also risk cluttering it.
Like this Article? Pin it for later!